Ever since I reached my early teens, I have been giving my hair a hard time. If I wasn’t dying it some random colour to match my latest fad, I was running the crimpers through it. And don’t even mention the ‘Sun In’ I tortured my poor hair with (sorry hair).
From heated appliances, to braving the chilly winter air, our hair is exposed to a lot of dangers that often leave it dull, brittle, and damaged. If we protect our skin by using sunblock or wearing clothes, how should we protect our hair?
The perfect solution: hair masks
You can of course buy some very effective hair masks which will work wonders on your hair, either as a preventive, or to repair damaged hair.
But what if I told you that you could easily make your own homemade hair mask with easy every day ingredients you can find in your kitchen? Or at least at your local supermarket?
Hair masks are one of the most effective ways to protect and preserve healthy hair. They provide a restorative and nourishing treatment that boost growth, repair damage, and protect hair from all kinds of “abuse” it suffers on a daily basis. And the best part? You can easily create one from the comforts of your home.
In this article, I’m going to share some of the best DIY homemade hair treatments.
They are easy to make, you know exactly what is in them, and they are usually cheaper than commercial ones. What’s not to love?
Using coconut oil on your hair is a quick and easy way to promote hair growth, fight dandruff and protect against the sun’s rays. What’s more you can buy a jar of coconut oil easily on Amazon.
Looking for an easy DIY hair mask? Coconut oil is the most simple hair mask you can create at home. To create the mask you need no other ingredient but the oil itself. Coconut oils is rich in fatty acid which is very nourishing to the hair.
You might be interested in Coconut Oil for Hair – Why you should be using it >>
To use coconut oil as a hair mask is really simple.
Bananas aren’t just for eating! Although they have numerous health benefits when consumed, they are also great for your hair when used externally!
Bananas help to make your hair feel softer and prevent split ends, so make sure to work it right through to the ends. The effects of a banana hair mask should be seen quite soon with added shine and less tangles. Bananas are also great for adding moisture to your hair – ideal if you use the straighteners on a regular basis.
Honey isn’t just for Winnie the Pooh – it also helps to soften hair and protect the scalp. Honey seals moisture in to your hair follicles, keeping it well hydrated and shiny!
Suffering from dry hair? Combine this perfect duo (honey and milk) to cure damaged hair and get your healthy locks back. Milk is rich in protein and calcium that strengthen hair and restore its natural shine. While honey attracts moisture and gives it extra nourishment.
Who knew our favourite party drink can also be a great ingredient for a homemade hair mask? Beer is loaded with proteins and vitamins which make it a natural volumizer. When used on hair it can make locks fuller and bouncier. Bananas are rich in potassium that minimises breakage and restores the hairs natural elasticity.
They’re not only great for jams, strawberries can be good for your hair too. Strawberries contain Vitamin C that nourishes hair and controls scalp oil. Unlike other citrus fruits, strawberries gently remove all excess oils without damaging your scalp’s natural Ph helping you get shiny and healthy hair in no time.1. Blend ingredients until they form a smooth and creamy mixture.
2. Apply to wet hair and soak for 15 minutes.
3. Rinse with warm water. No need of shampoo because strawberries contain a natural fruity fragrance.
Use this hair mask if you want to repair damaged hair. The egg is full of healthy fats and protein that help nourish hair for faster hair growth. While yogurt contains fatty acids, Vitamin D, and zinc that provides a beautiful glow to your locks and prevent hair loss.
1. Separate yolks from the egg whites. Use egg whites if you have oily hair and yolks if you have brittle hair.
2. Mix yogurt and olive oil in the mixture.
3. Squeeze a lemon into the mixture and whisk again until it’s smooth in texture.
4. Massage to your scalp and let it soak for at least 15 minutes. Use a towel or shower cap to prevent dripping.
5. Wash off with shampoo.
A wonder fruit we all love, avocados make the best kind of hair mask treatment. Long been used as a beauty ingredient, avocados contain hydrating and nourishing properties that help remove dryness and dullness to your hair, making it soft and shiny all day long.1. Blend the avocados until they make a delicious looking puree
2. Add the almond oil (you can also use olive or any oil of your choice) and milk.
3. Apply mixture to hair combing from the roots to the ends.
4. Cover with a shower cap and wait for 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
We see lots of aloe vera shampoos but did you know that aloe vera can also be used as a hair mask? The hair is made up of proteins called keratin, an abundance of this on your hair can nourish and stimulate healthy hair growth. Aloe vera contains enzymes that directly promote growth and eradicate dead skin cells on your scalp, allowing for proper absorption of nutrients when you use your regular shampoo.1. Heat olive oil for 10 seconds.
2. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
3. Apply to brittle and dry hair using a hair brush and soak for 4-5 hours. Use this overnight for best results.
If you want smoother and shinier hair, a mayonnaise hair mask is a great alternative from costly hair treatments sold in the supermarket. Mayonnaise contains hair-healthy ingredients such as vinegar, lemon juice and soybean oil that can boost shine and improve your hair’s moisture.1. Wet your hair so its fresh and damp before you add the mayonnaise
2. Apply on the ends (oldest and most damaged hair) and avoid your roots if you have thin hair
3. Put a shower cap or thermal cap on to increase the absorption rate of mayonnaise in your hair
4. Leave treatment on for 15-30 minutes
5. Wash your hair with shampoo to remove residues
There’s a lot of debate whether baking soda is really good or bad for your hair. The verdict: it is actually good for your hair as long as you use it at the right time and place. Using this ingredient can be tricky. But once properly done you can reap a lot of benefits. Baking soda can be effective in improving the protective sebum of your hair. It also strips your hair out of all silicones piled by using commercial shampoos.1. Mix 3 tbsp. of baking soda in 100ml of water (can be more depending on your hair length)
2. Apply the mixture from your roots to the end.
3. Let it soak for 5 minutes then rinse with warm water.
4. Now you need to rinse again using apple cider vinegar.
5. To create a vinegar rinse, mix 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 180ml water. You can use a few drops of your favourite essential oils mixed in to minimise the smell of vinegar and spread it through your hair.
6. Massage your scalp and rinse thoroughly with cold water
PIN IT ON PINTEREST